The concept of Pentacomp assumed the improvement of data processing, so the Client could have the possibility to immediately generate reports supporting decisive processes. We suggested implementing Business Intelligence, which would provide current and coherent managerial information, at the same time ensuring high effectiveness of reporting and analyses.
Business Intelligence supports managerial decisions
The Client wanted to implement technologically and functionally advanced tools providing coherent, reliable and full information on key factors and processes throughout the company. AEGON has implemented a data warehouse, which supports decision making, both on strategic and operational level.
Project’s added value
In the Business Intelligence project we have combined the functionality of verified solutions available in the market, at the same time eliminating the restrictions they bring about. We have created a flexible environment, which would be easy to develop in any direction. We gave the Client a possibility to independently develop all modules of our authorship solution – PentaHD. The project provides for non-standard sources of data and Client’s expectations regarding the information contained in the warehouse and reports.
Our solution is presently used by the key departments of AEGON i.e. sales, controlling and actuarial departments. The reports support key processes in the company scale, such as reporting to the Board of Directors, calculating actuarial reserves, reporting to external institutions (Polish Financial Supervision Authority, Polish Chamber of Insurance).
We have performed the implementation according to the formerly determined cost and schedule.
Implementing the dedicated Business Intelligence system has brought AEGON the following five groups of benefits:
Reduction of operational costs:
- in the scope of preparing and generating reports,
- owing to considerable shortening and simplification of activities related to generating new reports,
- by immediate detection of irregularities in data and the possibility to eliminate losses resulting from data errors.
Simplification of reporting processes:
- users are presently able to quickly create reports, analyses and compilations,
- refreshing of reports does not require the involvement of programmers any more,
- The Client has the possibility to quickly generate ad-hoc reports.
Shortening the time for generating reports:
- we have enabled the option of reporting on a monthly and daily basis instead of the formerly used annual and quarterly statements,
- it takes merely hours to prepare complicated reports, which used to take a lot more time to generate and which involved many employees. During these hours, the statement is refreshed, the data is verified and the results are analysed.
Improved data quality:
- the solution eliminates divergencies between reports,
- we have ensured the detection of erroneous data,
- we have enabled generating reports that had previously been unavailable,
- the information provided now is coherent and unambiguous,
- the consolidation of financial data obtained from a few systems makes it possible to identify all incoherences in accounting records, which were unnoticeable from the level of source systems.
Improvement of internal processes within the organisation
- we have managed to simplify business processes (e.g. by removing loops),
- we have managed to limit the amount of work necessary to generate reports,
- total number of people involved in reporting processes has been reduced,
- we have managed to deload operating systems of generating analytic and synthetic reports, which allowed increasing the efficiency of production systems.
How did we manage to develop benefits within Business Intelligence?
- Changing the source of information supply was the basis for success. We have replaced a non-uniform environment composed of transaction systems, calculation sheets, Access data bases and flat files with a tailored, coherent database.
- We have used the software that enables the flexible creation of calculations, reports and compilations, as requested by the user.
- We have implemented a model of availability through a web browser of business meta data (we have applied our own tool, PentaAnatol), which allowed unifying all business terms within the company.
- We have designed ETL processes, which allow detecting an incoherence in the Client’s operating systems.
- The experience of the Pentacomp team in terms of optimising the processes of HD Power supply (IT area), as well as the development of possibilities of the reporting system (business area).
- The solution has been developed by a team with a long-term substantial experience in the area of insurance.